Wednesday, July 31, 2013

email | July 29, 2013

Wow, immediately after going home last week I remembered about a billion things to tell everyone.  So I started this thing where I write everything I want to say in my planner, so let me go through that real quick.

Okay, so first off, I wanted to tell a little more about my area and the landscape and stuff.  The 12th ward is basically like a single neighborhood and not much else.  But the town of West Lethbridge is kinda hilly but mostly flat.  Park Lake Ward is HUGE and is mainly flat farm land.  East and West Lethbridge is separated by what is called a Cooley or giant valley, almost a canyon.  It's so much fun driving down into it and back up on the east side which is where all the good stuff is.  I've been told several times, West Lethbridge is boring and has nothing to do.  And the food is very expensive, so we go to the east side to the low price stores.  Which reminds me, cheese is flipping expensive here!!!  I don't know why, but like a half pound of cheddar is NINE BUCKS!!!!  So much for scrambled eggs and cheese :(

Next is the weather.  It's been "hot" here, which is about 30 degrees Celsius.  Which reminds me, the different system of measurement is very hard to get used to.  30 C is about 90 F.  Also, there has been tons of rain.  Like flash floods on the east side and tornado warnings. A micro-burst went through the parking lot of the store we go to and all the cart stalls were destroyed.  This week we are supposed to get a lot more rain and it's going to get kinda cold.  Right now it's like 12 degrees Celsius or 60F. Speaking of rain, the flood relief was going really well, but they've told everyone that they don't need any more help, so I didn't get a chance to help.

This will make everyone kinda sad, our wards don't have strong youth programs.  The 12th ward, for whatever reason, doesn't have any young men show up.  Park Lake ward has 5 boys total.  In fact, Park Lake has 300 members on record and 170 of them are completely inactive.  Plus many more that are semi active.  It just goes to show that we have our work cut out for us.

Like I said before, missionary work is very different from what Dad told me about his mission.  Our focus is on reactivation and teaching current investigators.  Also, like I said before, most people are out of town or won't meet with us.  We've gotten two referrals (both of which said not interested) and we've been trying to set up an appointment with our single investigator and that's proving to be near impossible, but we keep trying.  This past week we had a goal to teach 6 lessons to less actives. We were well on our way to accomplishing this goal and surpassing it, until in a single day, 3 of our 4 appointments cancelled.  It was very aggravating but we are not getting discouraged.  

I went on exchanges on Friday.  I was with Elder Baker and we went around to a lot of the people he teaches.  I learned so much from him and brought some good ideas back to Elder Henderson.  One of our main goals that day was to teach a man named Scott.  He is very logical and wants evidence and not faith.  Since that is very much the way I am, I felt that I could get through to him by sharing my personal experiences.  So we spent 45 minutes role playing what we were going to do.  At the time of the appointment, he wasn't home.  At the end of the day, he texted back and told us that he was feeling sick.  Needless to say I was disappointed that I didn't get a chance to help him.  But then I thought, maybe it wasn't my job to teach him.  Maybe it was Elder Baker and Elder Wilson's job to teach him, and they just needed my insight.  After all, after the role play, Elder Baker said he liked a lot of what I said and was excited to use it.  It actually makes more sense because a stranger teaching can be awkward, but if the two familiar missionaries come in and use what I taught them, they can be more effective.  

On Friday we found out last minute that we needed to give 15 minute talks in church on Sunday.  We spent most of the day Sunday writing those talks.  I thought they went really well.

We've also set two goals to use the Book of Mormon more.  First, when we walk around we will always carry a copy to give a way or use to strike up conversations. Second, when we teach members, we are going to leave them with a challenge to write their testimonies in a Book of Mormon then prayerfully decide on someone to give it to.  I think this is a good way to get missionary work moving amongst the members.  I'd like to issue all of you the same challenge.  Just write your testimonies in the front, mark up some favorite scriptures and give it as a gift.  Oh, and put the missionaries phone number in the front of it, just in case.

Well, I wish this week was more exciting, but it's not so I'm almost done.  

That's so exciting for Larissa and Esmeralda!!!  I bet they are super excited.  If you email them let them know that they are in my prayers.  

That is so much fun that you got to go blow stuff up.  Although, this is the second time you've done it and both times I've been gone.  When I get back I want to participate, so you guys should start planning it so it can be huge :)

Tell Eli congratulations on finishing his Eagle.  That is awesome considering how little time he had.  Jared must be proud, I know I am.  Also, tell Jared congrats about getting ordained and Elder.  It's so cool to see friends getting ready for their missions.  Which brings up Dylan.  I'm sooo excited for him and the choice he's made.  I look forward to the day I get to read where he's going.

[Editor's note: Larissa, Esmeralda, Eli, Jared and Dylan are all from our Tomball ward. Larissa and Esmeralda left the MTC last Wednesday.  Eli is Dallin's age and just completed his Eagle project. Jared, Eli's older brother, will be entering the MTC in September and will serve in the Frankfurt Germany mission. Dylan is working on completing his mission papers.]
   
I'm sorry if anyone has sent a letter or something, but I still haven't had a chance to get mail.  So if you have sent something but I haven't replied, I apologize. 

Interesting fact.  People here pronounce Calgary different than we do.  Here it's pronounced like Cal-Gary (like the name).  It's kinda separate and weird but I guess they know how to properly pronounce it, since they live here and all.  

I love you all so much and just want you to know that I love serving the Lord.  Great blessings come when we dedicate at least part of our lives to him.  Remember the story of Alma the Younger when he gave up the judgement seat to serve a mission.  That is the same kind of dedication we should have.  Now don't go quit your jobs or anything, but be willing to sacrifice that basketball game, or that movie/TV show.  If you do, I promise you will see blessings in your personal, spiritual and social lives.


Oh, and I just learned that the Brethren have Facebook pages that are official.  So go "Like" them.

Okay, I love you all,

Elder Wake

No comments:

Post a Comment