Great News!!!! I don't have bedbugs!!!! I guess
I should explain. Starting last Monday night, I started getting itchy red
spots on my arms and legs. Within two days they quadrupled in
number. The way that I figured it was that they were the result of one of
three things. Either they were insect bites (most likely bedbugs), a skin
condition, or an allergy. The Senior missionaries that are in charge of
housing checked out my bed and said there were no signs of bedbugs. Plus
I washed my sheets and blankets. They still didn't go away and 4 more
appeared. So I went to the doctor, who thought that it was an
allergy. I was prescribed Benedryl and some sort of cortisol cream.
After taking the pills for one night, they stopped itching and now they are almost
all gone. Normally I'd be happy, but now all I know is that they are an
allergic reaction and I still have no idea what I'm allergic to. So once
my Benedryl runs out, the hives will come back. Then again, maybe they
won't. I'm trying to be optimistic.
So I guess I should also explain why I'm a day late with the
email. Here in Canada, yesterday was "Heritage Day" so pretty
much everything, including the library, was closed. So here I am, talking to
y'all on Tuesday!
I guess I'll just go through what the past week was
like. Last Tuesday we were blessed to teach two less active
families. I say blessed because we didn't have any appointments, they
just invited us in to talk and share a spiritual message.
Then on Wednesday I got
the opportunity to see just how much the Lord helps his missionaries. We
had a zone goal setting meeting for the month of August. For July, the
zone had a goal to have 8 people baptized or on date. They started the
month with only one investigator on date, so it was going to be a difficult
goal to achieve. Well, by Wednesday night, our zone had TEN on
date!!!! It is awesome to see the blessings that come from hard
work. Our goal for August is to have 15 baptized or on date and so far we
have 8 on date, one baptized, and one that dropped the sisters. But we
still have a month to go and with faith we can accomplish our goals.
On Thursday, we got to teach a less active in the Park Lake ward. He is a very nice man and has a lot of interesting insights. He, and others like him, are interesting cases. They have strong testimonies, know the commandments, and for all intents and purposes are identical to fully active members. But for whatever reason, they just don't come to Church that often. And in the case of this less active, he recognizes the fact that he needs to come to church and told us that everyone goes through life on a roller coaster and right now he is in a spiritual low. I really don't know how to help him, besides just constantly encouraging him.
Friday was the day I went to the doctor and, since
there were no appointments available, we went to a walk in clinic. It
took forever!!!! I was 14th in line and was waiting for like 3
hours. Then we had to get the prescription filled and buy a rain coat for
me. So very little was done in the way of missionary work that day.
Saturday I was on exchanges again. We spent most
of the day doing service for the same less active that we taught on
Thursday. We also went around trying to talk to less actives and former
investigators, but no one was home (or at least they wouldn't answer the door).
Sunday was Fast Sunday, and as a zone we did
something interesting. In Alma, it talks about how after the Nephites
would beat the Lamanites in battle, they would fast for gratitude. I've
never really thought about fasting for gratitude. We normally fast for
things that we want, like rain or for someone to get over a sickness or for
comfort. So, for the first time, I fasted for gratitude for the success
the zone has had at achieving and surpassing our goals. Then to break the
fast, a family decided to serve a very disappointing dinner. I shouldn't
complain, but the main course was clam chowder and as some of you may know, I
HATE clam chowder. So I was trying very hard to not gag or look grossed
out. I almost finished one bowl and claimed I was full. The only
good part was that they had Taber corn. Taber is a town near here that
grows mostly corn. It is a huge deal here. Most members are talking
about how the Taber corn stands have opened and everyone needs to get as much
as they can before they run out. At ward council a huge deal was being
made about who was going get the Taber corn for the ward camping trip and were
they going to be able to get enough. It's kinda funny, but they are
right. It was the best corn I've ever had!!
Then there was yesterday.
Since we couldn't email, we had extra time to spend at our P-Day
activities. There were board games and later indoor soccer. There
were three European natives and then a bunch of Americans. Needless to
say, the Europeans were the main ones playing. Trust me, you do not want
to be goalie when the Frenchman is about to attempt a goal. It is
terrifying and I could never block one of his shots.
Oh! I almost forgot the best part of
yesterday. Someone called us and asked if we were available to meet with
him and his non-member friend Bryce. Bryce wants to learn more about the
church and has a lot of questions. We agreed to meet at7:00 at the
stake center. It was a very spiritual experience and very
interesting. He certainly does have a lot of questions and is very
philosophical. He spent 3 years in Eastern Europe and has seen a lot of
bad in the world. We answered all his questions as well as we could, and
he seemed to get something out of it. He agreed to read the Book of
Mormon and to pray to know if it and what we taught was true. Sadly, he
is a YSA and so we can't teach him anymore. We'll turn him over to the other
missionaries next time we meet.
That's pretty much all I did this past week. I
appreciate all the emails I've gotten so far, and Friday I'll be in
Calgary, so if any letters have come through I'll get them then. I love
you all and miss seeing and talking to you, but I'm remaining dedicated to the
work. I encourage all of you to do some sort of missionary work. If
there is one thing I've learned since being out in the field, it's that
missionary work is nearly ineffective without the help of members.
Remember to do your part and the Lord will bless you in so many different
ways.
With lots of love,
Elder Wake
No comments:
Post a Comment