Thursday, October 24, 2013

email + pictures | October 21, 2013

Week 14


How's it going y'all?

So this week was super good in some ways and kinda sucked in others.  Investigator wise we didn't do so hot.  Randy is outta town, so we knew we wouldn't see him, but Nicole and her kids cancelled our lesson on Thanksgiving and didn't respond to our texts to reschedule until much later in the week.  And then she said we could meet on Tuesday, so we didn't get to meet with them.  Plus they went to church in another ward, which is better than nothing but once again, we haven't seen them for a while.

As for our two referrals, one was baptized into the "River of Life Church" the day before we contacted them and the other hasn't been home.  The first one said they'd call if they need any help with anything, so hopefully if we get a chance to serve them their hearts will soften.  I think they aren't truly converted to their church because they just moved from a refugee camp in Nepal 3 weeks ago and they don't really speak good English.  I think that if we get a chance, they won't be very attached to their "church" and they'll listen to us.  Then again maybe they are truly converted and it will be very difficult. 

We also had a kinda sorta appointment with a former investigator.  It was more of a scheduled stop by not a hard and fast appointment lesson.  Anyway, he wasn't home but we are going to keep trying because his teaching record looks promising.  
However, on the Less Active front we did awesome!!!  We surpassed our goals and got in with some people that are presumably difficult to get in with.  One of the people was someone that I think the ward forgot about because only the Bishop knows him and he didn't even realize he lived in the ward.  I've been trying for the past 2 months and finally he was home.  Also, a family, that a couple of weeks ago kept cancelling on us, told us they want to meet every week so we can teach them the missionary lessons.  They are all struggling with almost everything.  The son believes in science not religion, the daughter doesn't have a testimony of Joseph Smith and the mom has her own struggles.  But now they are showing renewed interest and are striving to keep commitments.  

But the biggest story of the week is a less active/recent convert family.  I'll call them the "C" family.  I guess I already talked about them in my last email, but they were baptized in February and almost immediately got a hold of some anti and fell away.  The mom contacted some sisters in the ward and is starting to talk to them again. On Saturday morning we went and, with the help of about 9 members of the ward, helped her clean a house that her mother-in-law is trying to sell.  It definitely softened her heart and she said that she isn't shutting the door completely yet, which is better than wanting to be taken off the record several months ago. I'm super excited and hope that I'll get to help bring her back.


That is pretty much how our week went.  We also did a ton of service, (almost every day!) and this week we are finishing up several other projects we started this past week.  Speaking of service, I said that I'd probably be doing the greatest funnest and awesomeest service project ever soon.  Well, sad news, we can't go do it.  It's out of the area and since it is for a member and not a Less Active or an Investigator the assistants said we can't go.  If we could have gone, we would have been helping slaughter some chickens and pluck them and prepare them to be eaten or frozen.  The guy even said he'd give us one or two to take home!!  I was so psyched up but I guess now I don't get to do it :(

Oh, it kinda snowed last Wednesday.  It was mixed with rain and was early in the morning, so it wasn't to cool. According to a member, the forecast for tomorrow
 includes flurries, so we'll see.

We had a great week and I hope you did too.  I love you all so much and hope that your coming week goes great and that you remember to stay strong in the faith.  Nothing is more important than this Gospel and how it blesses our lives.  

Love, 

Elder Wake


--------------------------

Here are some pictures Braden sent us in his email:

Most of his zone from the last transfer

Braden said, "Fall season here is beautiful and I took some pictures of
the local park that I thought you'd be interested in."


No comments:

Post a Comment