Thursday, August 15, 2013

email | August 12, 2013

Week......5?

Wow, I can't even keep track of the weeks any more.  All I know is that next week is Board week, which is crazy because that means that the transfer is almost over.  Oh yeah, I forgot, you aren't missionaries so you don't know what Board week is.  Well, Board Week is the last week of the transfer when the President and Assistants look at the "Board" and figure out who is going where, who they are going with, and what leadership assignments will be made.  During the week, anyone that gets a leadership or training call will be called by one of the assistants and the assignment will be made.  Also, parents get letters telling them about how awesome their child is and stuff like that.  Finally, everyone with new assignments has to make a last minute trip to Calgary to go to training.  So that is all happening next week.

Speaking of Calgary, I mentioned that I went to Calgary on Friday, but didn't specify why.  Halfway through the transfer, all trainers need to go to "retraining".  So Elder Henderson had to go to the conference and I was dragged along.  It was actually really fun.  We drove another set of Elders and we just talked and stuff the whole way. In a very small town halfway there called Claresholm, there is some chicken.  Now, my first day in the mission, it was hyped up to be the greatest chicken in the world. Missionaries would dream of being transferred to the south so they could stop there and partake of the chicken.  Plus, every mission conference in Calgary, they could stop on the way up again.  EVERY missionary said it was to die for.  So, as is tradition, we stopped in Claresholm to get chicken, at the 7-11.  It wasn't bad, but it definitely wasn't anything near what people were saying it was, so that was a disappointment.  Anyway, the actual training was fun because us "greenies" got to sit in on it and a lot of good council was given.  Plus, I got to see all of my MTC district.  They are all still super awesome and we were talking about how by the end of our mission we will all be in the same district again.  

As for this past week, it was pretty much same old same old.  We did more service then we normally do, which of course I love!  But yeah, we taught some less actives and we are on our way to meet our month's goal of teaching 10 new less active families.  On Saturday we went on exchanges again, and I was in charge of our area.  We took a walking day, but we still got a lot accomplished.  Dinner that day was awesome, but really strange too.  I probably shouldn't go into to much detail, but it was a 65 or 70 year old white guy who has been married to his wife for 10 years.  She is from Tanzania and is probably about 35 or 40.  But they love each other and that is all that matters.  Plus, they are really missionary minded, although they are working with a strange group.  They are all refugees from Nepal.  So they asked us for a bunch of materials written in their language.  Also 3 Swahili Book of Mormons.  Some very interesting requests, but anything to help others. 

OH!!!!  We accomplished our vision for the month of August!!!!  We wanted our area to be split at the end of the transfer, and Mission President said it's going to be.  So now we are working hard so that both wards have enough work going to keep their missionaries busy.  

One appointment we went to was very awesome.  It was with a member and her less active husband.  He didn't show up, so we met with her and the ward mission leader.  She expressed her concerns about how she was trying to get her husband back into activity.  We helped her and gave her some advice on how she can best do it.  We told her that all she can do is invite.  Every night say family prayer with the kids and read the scriptures, and always invite him to join.  He may say no, but as long as you don't get angry and yell, it will be okay.  And if he does come and join, that's great!!  Same with church attendance.  Invite him to join you every Sunday.  Say that it's important to you but you respect his decision.  He may say no, but eventually he'll say yes.  And finally, tell him you want to go to go to the temple with him, but that he needs to be worthy.  That gives him something to work for.  She appreciated our help and at the end asked if I could give her a blessing.  It was awesome to be able to use my priesthood authority to help her.  It was also a great experience because I've only ever given blessings to people that I know.  I barely knew her, but I could still give her a blessing.  How awesome is that?!?!?!

And that's pretty much how my week went.  Missionary work is awesome and I continue to ask that you will try to do your part and teach others.  If you are, great!!  Keep it up and the Lord will bless you.  I can promise you that because I've seen it and I'm a missionary, and you can trust the missionaries :)
https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/images/cleardot.gif

I love you all and hope that you are doing well.  Keep strong and faithful.  

Love,

Elder Wake

No comments:

Post a Comment