Wow, this last week was the longest of my life. Just with the huge drastic change and having to deal with everything, the week crept by. I think I'm doing better now but I definitely don't like not having a companion.
I guess an update of my situation is needed. Basically I am by myself in the 12th Ward. I live with the Zone Leaders but I go with different missionaries during the day, sometimes multiple companionships per day. Whoever has an open spot during my dinners or lessons, they come with me. It's really weird to think that I am the only missionary for the 12th ward. As for a new companion, I will get one on the 20th, which is transfers. I have no idea what to expect. I think that it is possible that I will leave the 12th ward and it will get 2 new missionaries. Or maybe I'll follow up train someone for 6 weeks then leave. I don't think that I will get a brand new missionary because that would mean I would stay in the same area for 7 and a half months, which is freaking long.
As for the work, things are going. Not bad or good, just... happening. Without a companion to dedicate 24/7 to this area, I can't get much done. That combined with the fact that half of my investigators have moved, this week seemed kinda bad. However, as the Zone Leaders pointed out, the very fact that I had 3 lessons this past week when I'm by myself is a miracle. In some areas 3 lessons per week is a stretch even with 2 missionaries and 100% of the time. Plus I can't control people's agency, so if my investigators don't keep commitments or if they move, that isn't my fault. The good news is that Randy is doing a lot better it seems. He said he was going to come watch a baptism but he made a lame excuse 30 minutes before and didn't show. But he seems more open to becoming a member than he has in the past. Hopefully he will make even more progress and will desire to be baptized. As for Chris, we haven't had a chance to meet with him, but his fellowshipper called and said that he was in a bad place now and needs our help more than ever. Hopefully we can set up a time to talk to him to help him through his trials.
The greatest news is that this very morning the Zone Leaders got a call from someone who said that he had a friend that was interesting in taking the lessons. His name is Ben and he has read half of the Book Of Mormon and has questions and is really open to learning more. I called Ben and when I introduced myself as a missionary he got more excited and wanted me to come over this evening before dinner to talk to him and start teaching him!!! I'm super excited but also nervous because this is like the first "first lesson" I've done with an investigator. I hope it goes well and that he will desire to learn more and get baptized eventually.
What else?... It is flipping cold here. It snowed again Sunday and Monday and will snow on Thursday and/or Friday. After every snow the high for the next few days is usually below freezing and then it gets back up to a balmy +5 Celsius. Then it gets super cold and snows again. The rumour is that all the missionaries in the Calgary Zones had to park their cars for the last week or so due to ice and bad drivers. Luckily we didn't have to because the Zone Leaders live super far from my area. It's like a couple hour walk.
I forgot my camera cord so I can't show you the pictures I took this last week. I carved an amazing Pumpkin on Halloween. Which reminds me, Halloween was last Thursday!!! I almost forgot!!! Some member threw a party for us at one of the church buildings. There was pulled turkey sandwiches, candy, other treats and drinks. They also bought a ton of pumpkins for us to carve. Some were really creative, like Sister Lamont carved the Cardston temple. I have to say that mine is the best though. Instead of a boring circle in the top, I cut out the outline of Texas. And instead of a boring face or something, I cut out a BYU "Y". It was quite awesome if I do say so myself.
I think that that was pretty much my week. I'll let you know how my lesson with this new guy goes. Keep your fingers crossed. Just kidding, a prayer is all I need :)
Keep praying for missionary experiences! If you pray, they will come :)
Love,
Elder Wake
No comments:
Post a Comment